2008-07-03

On to the full review of iPhone#2


On the Headset Front - I’m VERY PICKY when it comes to bluetooth headsets. I’ve tried SEVERAL! I keep coming back to my Jabra BT500. I don’t like the on the ear kind mainly because they’re not comfortable to me. This means that I probably WON’T be buying the Apple Bluetooth Headset. It’s the kind that goes in the ear and that’s the only thing that holds it in place. I’d have to try one before considering a purchase as I’ve been disappointed so many times in this area. The Jawbone had promise, but it just doesn’t fit well in MY ear either. So because it doesn’t go all the way in my ear, there is a volume issue. It also feels like it’s going to simply fall off sometimes. Again, these are my issues and you might be just fine with it. So I paired up my Jabra and placed a call. I called my sister and her first response was “you sound like you’re on a land line!” I couldn’t believe how clear it was. I would get static on the Treo if I simply moved the Treo to the other side of my body. The iPhone works GREAT with my headset. Get this, I was even able to adjust the volume on the iPhone and it worked over bluetooth. Keep in mind I’m scared and just not used to this working so well. I tried the unthinkable, after I hung up. I held the button down for a second on my Jabra and it redialed my sister. I passed out!

Ringtones

This would fall into the area of disappointment category. While the iPhone has 25 different ringtones built-in, they are kind of cheesy. Some are also not loud enough. I was really looking forward to using my own music which is already on the device as my ringtones. On my Treo I had different songs assigned to different contacts. While you can assign different ringtones to different contacts, the choices of ringtones supplied isn’t very appealing. Hopefully the rumors are true and Apple will allow you to use your own or convert your own tones. You should also be allowed to assign ringtones to groups of contacts. This way you would immediately know if family is calling, vs. friends vs. colleagues. Even if they don’t allow you to use purchased music, they should at least allow you to spin your own with GarageBand or other sound apps. Ringtones is big business, so I’m surprised that there isn’t a way to buy more (yet.)

Visual voice mail

This is a very welcomed addition to the world of wireless. This is something that Apple and AT&T collaborated on and gives you the ability to see your voice mail listing on your iPhone and then skip around to listen the messages in the order you want them in. I’m not aware of any other phone/wireless carrier that offers this. It’s really slick too. You can see exactly who called, call them back from the same screen and most importantly you can scrub the playback head with your finger to backup a message to hear something that you missed without having to go all the way back or some set interval.

iPod

The iPod portion of the iPhone is what separates it from any other phone out there. Sure your phone may play mp3s, but it probably doesn’t play the ones you bought from the iTunes store or give you your iTunes playlists. Apple has completely redesigned the iPod interface on the iPhone. The famous click wheel is gone. You can customize the screen buttons to the areas that you access most. You can watch your movies, music videos and video podcasts. Music does actually play through the built-in speaker if you don’t use the supplied earbuds/phone headset. The coverflow feature is pretty cool. My only complaint in this department is in the area of storage space. Storage on the iPhone is either 4GB or 8GB depending on the model you get. I have to say that while I can live in 8GB’s of space, 16GB would have been much better. I actually can’t believe that Apple would not offer a 16GB model. Especially considering how big video files and movies are. Perhaps they’ll come out with a 3rd model that does 16GB just like they came out with an Apple TV after the initial launch that has a 160GB hard drive (as opposed to the 40GB hard drive in the first model). The iPhone like the iPod is syncs the status of the content you play back such as movies and TV shows. So if you start watching a video on your computer in iTunes and then have to leave, sync your iPhone and go. When you start watching it on your iPhone it will pick up where you left off. This works in both directions.

GREAT NEWS on the multiple computer front! Blog reader John confirmed that you CAN sync the iPhone with more than one computer. For example, I want to sync the iPhone with my MacBook Pro for contacts, calendar and photos. However, I want to sync my music, video and podcasts to my iMac (which is our iTunes jukebox at home). I just figured this wouldn’t work and I’m happy IT DOES! I used my wife’s iPhone for this test. She doesn’t have much music on her iMac. However, all her playlists are on the iTunes iMac. So when I plugged her phone into the iTunes iMac and went to iTunes none of the items were checked in the tabs for the iPhone which is GOOD. I checked off the playlists she wanted and then when I hit apply I got a scary message that said that the iPhone could only be sync’d to one iTunes library at a time and that if I proceed it would erase the iPhone and replace its contents. What the message didn’t state was did this mean the music and video content or everything? So I did it because I could always re-sync it back to her computer if it didn’t work. After a few minutes the new content was all there AND her contacts, calendar and photos were still there from her iMac! YEAH! I also had to choose the videos she wanted because it’s all the iTunes content or none. You can’t do videos on one computer and audio on another. Same goes for podcasts and audio books. Thanks John! You rock!

Camera

The iPhone has a 2 megapixel camera built-in. The shots are stored in the iPhone’s flash memory (4GB or 8GB). There is no camera flash, there is no zoom. There are no settings. It’s a point-and-shoot PERIOD. Cameras on phones haven’t impressed anyone. Every time I see someone raise their phone to take a picture, I always think to myself, “what are you going to do with that crappy shot?” So I didn’t really have any great expectations for the iPhone camera. As a matter of fact I often forget that my phone has a camera.

+++ To be continue soon +++

No comments: